Did you know that corded drills used to be the tools of choice when it came to drilling and screw driving applications? Well, these types of drills were a favorite to many households and professional craftsmen. However, with the introduction of advanced cordless drills their popularity progressively reduced. Today, manyDIYers and professional contractors prefer cordless drills owing to their improved design, great portability and high energy efficiency. They have become an indispensable tool especially in home improvement projects.
Choosing the right cordless drill for your home improvement projects can be a challenge. This is because the market has hundreds of models that boast of great performance and superior quality. But the truth is that most of these models do not actually do as advertised. They just end up being a great disappointment after a short time of use. To protect you from such inconveniences, we have decided to give a comprehensive review of the main factors that you need to consider before purchasing a cordless drill. This will help you make the right choice and get the best value for your money. Lets take a look at each factor in great detail.
Features and Purpose
This is actually the first consideration that you need to put in mind. Ask yourself, for what purpose do you need the cordless drill for? Is it for a light or heavy-duty drilling and driving application? Or is the project being undertaken of small or large-scale? Well, for light tasks or small-scale projects, you will need a cordless drill that has medium power. This generally range from 5 volts up to 12 volts. Such power will enable you to drill through walls and other light materials.
On the other hand, if you need the cordless drill for a heavy-duty drilling and driving task then you will needmore power. This calls for a powerful battery that has the capacity to store charge for long. You actually need a cordless drill that has a battery capacity ranging from 18 volts to 36 volts. This will make sure that it provides extended run-time while generating enough power to tackle tough materials, such as masonry, concrete and metal. Therefore know your purpose even before stepping into the store.
The voltage capacity of a cordless drill plays a very crucial part in determining the performance and end results of a project. Most cordless drills join a voltage range of 12 to 24 volts. Basically, high voltage translates to a greater motor power. This generates enough torque to enable you drill easily through tough materials. However, you should note that a high voltage battery results into increased weight.
For example, a typical 12-volt cordless drill has a weight of 1.6 kg. But when the pin is added, the weight increases to between 3 to 4.5 kg. Therefore if you want to work for long, then a 14-volt cordless drill will be the right choice. However, drilling thicker and tougher materials will need a cordless drill with a high voltage capacity.
There are multiple selections when it comes to battery type. However, the most common types are Lithium-Ion and NiCAD batteries.
NiCAD batteries batteries have a reputation of being cheap, durable and with a capacity to store charge for long. These batteries give up to 40-percent more run-time compared to the standard batteries. NiCADpins feature extended life and can be recharged over 1000 times. However, NiCAD batteries need to berecharged often. Moreover, they contain toxic chemicals that need recycling.
Lithium-Ion batteries are lighter compared to NiCAD batteries. However, they are more expensive and store charge for a shorter period of time. Therefore if you are operating on a lithium-ion battery, it is advisable that you buy an extra one to minimize downtime. This means that you can use the first battery while the second oneis being charged.
Cordless drills are all about speed. Their speed is measured in revolutions per minute or RPM. And when it comes to speed, you have the option of choosing between single-speed and variable-speed cordless drills. Single-speed cordless drills are an excellent choice for screw driving applications. Single-speed cordless drills generate around 300 RPM. Variable or dual-speed cordless drills are a more versatile option. They find great application when it comes to drilling holes in tough and thick materials. Their speed range from 1,200 to 1,500 RPM. However, some of them are known to reach speeds of up to 3,200 RPM.
The clutch mechanism has proven to be an intelligent design in drilling tasks. Its main purpose is to help you adjust the torque on the drill. It prevents the screw heads from stripping off. And considering the fact that different materials have different degree of hardness, the clutch helps you to customize the torque setting tomatch the type of material being worked on. This results into great precision and control while preventing material damage. Most cordless drills have a torque selector with settings that range from 1-22.
Apart from the basic features, some cordless drills are equipped with other more features that render the jobmuch easier. Among them is the LED lighting. This is integrated into the cordless drill to give better visibility in dark areas and during the night. Some cordless drills also come with rotating handles. These give an ideal holding place that allows you to work in greatest comfort without any strain. However, you need to know that an increase in the number of features results into a higher price tag.
This is a major consideration reason that should be at the top of your list. Cordless drills come in different price tags to match various needs and budgets. You can choose between the cheap or expensive cordless drills. However, this would greatly be determined by your budget. In the world of cordless drills, quality doesn’t always have to be expensive. You can get cheap cordless drills that give the same performance as other high-end models. So choose wisely but make sure you stay within your budget limit.
There is a long list of brands when it comes to cordless drills. However, some set themselves apart from the others owing to their superior quality products. Some of the brands to go for include Dewalt, Black & Decker,Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Porter-Cable, Festool, and Ingersoll. These are trusted brands that have been in the business for long. With them, you are guaranteed to get better value for your money.
Any product without a warranty is a risky purchase. Cordless drills are no exception. Ensure that you select a cordless drill that is backed with a warranty. A product with a warranty of at least 2 years is a great bargain. The warranty ensures that you are covered in case of any defects in parts or poor craftsmanship.
The type of cordless drill that you choose will greatly find the success of your project. Therefore choosing the right tool for the job is quite crucial in achieving top-notch results. Taking into account the above mentioned factors will help you make a more informed decision and get a cordless drill that will prove to be a worthwhile investment for years to come. Choose wisely and get the best out of your home improvement projects.
We have selected the Top 5 best cordless drills 2019 for you.
1. DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit is one of such drilling devices and therefore, you can consider having it your power tool collection regardless of whether you are a DIY person or a professional contractor. The device perfectly when it comes to fastening and drilling on aworks variety of materials for applications such as HVAC work, framing or cabinet installation. You can use it as a foundation for your work either as a profession or a hobby.
Pros of DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
- Compact size
This enhances the fitness of this kit in conditions that are tight. The kit contains a big punch, but in a package that is smaller.
- Powerful high performance
The motor tucked inside the compact design is of high power performance. This enhances the comfort of the user most especially when the user is working in spaces that are tight for a long duration of time.
- Lightweight design
This kit is designed to ensure that the probability of the user getting tired while using it, is minimized.
Features and specifications
- DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit is cordless drill. This enhances maximized performance while at the same time minimizing user fatigue. The fact that it’s cordless ensures that the user isn’t limited by the length of the cord.
- DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit has got a motor with high output, that is 380 unit watts out. It also has a dual speed capability of 0-450/0-1,500RPM. This leads to efficiency maximization for fastening and drilling applications.
- DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit also is light-weighted, that is it weighs 5.2- pound. This implies, that the user does not get tired of working with it since the fatigue is minimized. With 9-inch in length. This makes it perfect when the user is working in awkward angles and tight spaces.
There is a half inch single sleeve ratcheting chunk that is keyless and made of plastic material in the DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit. It is meant to offer a bit grip that is tighter and this result to a bit retention that is better as well. Accuracy and increased precision also come as a result of having a tighter grip.
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt battery
There are two NiCAD batteries of 18 volts, which are found in the DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit. Hearing of the batteries, you need to think about the charger. However, it is not for you to buy as with this kit, there is a one- hour charger. From one rugged job to the next, you need to transport DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit in a much easier way. For easy transportation, the kit comes with a contractor bag that you can use while moving from a certain job site to the next.
Cons of DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
- Lacks an LED work light
- Batteries peter out way too soon and don’t charge very long
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit has got a money back guarantee of 90 days. It also comes with a free service contract of one year. There is also a limited warranty of 3 years. All these deals are meant to ensure that you do not suffer any financial loss by making a decision to buy the kit. Any commodity that offers money back guarantee clearly shows that the manufacturer believes in the commodity’s quality. Dewalt in this case is the manufacturer and a leading one in the power accessories and tools industry.
With the information above, you can be able to make an informed decision about DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit. Looking at the advantages and disadvantages, you can decide whether it is worth any penny of your hard earned money or not. The product is available within America and beyond, as products from Dewalt are available nationally and internationally.
2. HYPERACTIVE BOY – PORTER-CABLE PCL120DDC-2 Cordless drill
PORTER-CABLE PCL120DDC-2 12-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver is a combination kit which involves a 3/8 inch drill driver (PCL120DDC-2) and a ¼ inch hex impact drill driver (PCL120IDC-2). The Porter features 2 batteries, a fast charger, two belt hooks, a carry bag and two bits. The drivers have a couple of similar features. They are powered by a 1.3 amp-hour and 12-volt cartridge style battery made of lithium-ion that contributes to the tool’s light weight.
The Porter offers a variety of driving and drilling tasks which an individual is likely to meet in a distinctive work shop as well as for renovation and light construction. If the drivers get plenty of use, or if they are shared among many people, it may be worth buying some extra batteries which will reduce the chances of waiting in a line to charge the battery.
The great Porter-cable is light weight and features ultra-compact size which makes it convenient for fitting into areas that are tight and for overhead applications. It also involves a two-speed gearbox which facilitates high torque fastening and high-speed drilling. The divers of 3/8 inches single sleeve chuck have a spindle lock that provides for great grip torque for retention. The adjustable clutch is characterized by 20 drilling and driving settings for more options.
- Fast and Efficient Drilling
The Porter-Cable’s PCL120DDC-2 3/8-inch drill/driver has a 2-speed gearbox which makes it the perfect choice for a range of high-speed drilling errands. The latter speeds cover up to 0-315 and 0-1,200 rpm and syndicate with the high-torque fastening. It also covers a serious 220 in-lbs of greatest torque into a complete drilling package. The tool has the single-sleeve 3/8-inch chuck which has a spindle lock, which contributes to the drilling equation greatly to give a high grip torque and a bit retention layer. The trigger of variable speed ensures that the user experiences solid drilling control in all tasks. The adjustable clutch also boasts 20 drilling and driving settings, which raise the flexibility using an array of types of material.
- Sized for All Jobs
The Porter- cable Comes at 7-1/2 inches long with a weight of just 2.4 pounds with its battery in place. This makes it is ideal for drilling jobs which do not involve a lot of space , for instance working in drawers, closets, cabinets and lowering the strain of users during up drilling. The handy bit holder, which is magnetic, ensures easy storage and helps to keep the bits from getting lost. Additionally, an LED work light provides light for the work areas that involve conditions of low-lighting and a functional belt hook which maintains the accessibility of the drill.
- Dimensions and Warranty
The Porter-Cable’s PCL120DDC-2 compact 3/8-inch drill/driver has a measurement of 7-1/2 inches long. It features a 3-year warranty that is limited, a service contract that is 1-year free as well as a money back guarantee of 90 days.
- High quality tool
The product is a result of a team of dedicated engineers and researchers who make sure to listen to what the users of the tool have to say, continuously finding ways to better and improve the existing tools and come up with new ones with better features. The company manufactures designs and distributes cordless and electric power tools, compressors and pneumatic tools, generators pressure washers and other related professional woodworking, residential/commercial construction, plumbing and electrical markets accessories.
Features and Specifications
- The PORTER-CABLE PCL120DDC-2 12-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver includes a voltage of 12V. The Maximum Battery Type is Lithium IonClutch Settings. It has a 3/8 “Chuck Type, Single Sleeve Torque of length 220 in-lbs Length, variable-speed trigger of 7.5 “. on top of these the following great features add to the effectiveness of the tool.
- The porter cable features a 2-Speed gearbox which facilitates high-speed drilling-0-315 / 0-1,200 RPMand a high-torque fastening-220 in.-lbs. greatest torque.
- The tool has a Single sleeve 3/8″ chuck which has a spindle lock that offers a high grip torque for the bit retention
- It features a variable speed trigger which delivers best control over all applications
- It has the adjustable clutch which features 20 drilling and driving settings for a variety of materials
- The Magnetic bit holder stores screw bit conveniently.
- The LED work lighting provides for visibility in work areas that are darkened.
- The porter cable tool also has Belt hook which stores the tool accessibly.
The Single LED work light is not useful as much – it is blocked by the chuck and thus Dual lights would be a better option.
The tool is only perfect for light to medium jobs, thus not recommended for application in heavy-duty.
Replacement of the battery is costly.
Custumer reviews on Amazon
After extensive research the tool was certainly the most suggested drill. it did not disappoint. Many customer reviews have given positive remarks and the tool has been rated highly online by users. For instance there have been many great comments and below are samples of the great remarks from customers;
Comment; a great size, affordable price, good power, 2 batteries, the 1st drill I bought and I decided it was overdue! After plenty of research, it was by far the drill that was most suggested drill for on average homeowner. Economical and Basic, the tool gets the occasional drilling job done splendidly; I would definitely suggest the portable-cable to friends!
Another great comment from a customer was;
My Husband lost the battery to one of the first drills he had, so I order a new drill for him ill and the day that it arrived, we were able to find the battery. Currently I the old drill for my personal use and I completely love it. It is very handy, lightweight and small. I would recommend the tool to anyone
Porter-Cable PCL120DDC is one of the best cordless drills in 2019
If you are online on looking for the Porter-Cable PCL120DDC-2 12-Volt Max Compact Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver it also means you are looking to find the best kind of deal for this product or maybe you want to get some great reviews from other people who have used the product before you buy it then you are on the right track to finding a great one. Online shopping is very easy and saves you gas. Thus, You do not have to bedriving from store to store in search of the perfect Porter-cable as its variety products and accessories are accessible online. Quite affordable for its features and with great customer reviews and rating, one should not hesitate to acquire one of these fine drilling and driving tools today.
3. Makita FD02W 12V max Lithium-Ion Cordless 3/8" Driver-Drill Kit
In order to lower the costs of repairs and maintenance, home owners inevitably have to acquire and join a suitable drilling machine, alongside other hardware tools and equipment, as a core part and parcel of their household collections.
- The field of hardware implements is awash with innumerable players, each with its own nice of operations, so much so that, prospective users are often at odds as to which one specifically suits their requirements.
- The field of drilling machines is not left out either. There are indeed several types and makes of drilling machines in vogue today, an example of the Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill Kit.
- For a start, the Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill tool kit basically comprises: double-ended Philips bit, 12-Volt Max lithium-ion charger, a driver/drill, a tool case, a tool holster, and two 12-Volt Max lithium-ion batteries.
- The proceeding Makita FD02W review aims at exploring the features, technical specifications, pros, cons, and customer reviews with the aim of enlightening prospective clients on what they ought to expect out of its use.
Pros MAKITA FD02W
The following are some of the benefits and advantages of the Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill Kit:
- Maximum Comfort: The device is designed with the comfort of the users in mind. It has an ergonomic grip handle which prevents the user’s hands from being hurt in the process of utilizing it; and has an overall weight of just about 2.2 pounds (1 kg), a fact that makes it very easy to lift around as desired. Furthermore, it also derives its power from batteries, which means it can be used in extremely remote locations.
- Excellent Performance: It performs the task of drilling pretty efficiently. This is due to the fact that it is mainly powered by a 12-Volt maximum Lithium-ion battery which charges within just 50 minutes. The battery has a life expectancy that is three times longer than ordinary batteries and generally runs longer. This saves greatly on costs and means added peace of mind to the users.
- High Power Output: The motor of this drill device delivers very high power output of around 200 inch-pounds of torque. This automatically translates to very high quality outputand ensures that as minimal time as possible is expended in every drilling session.
Effective Controls: It does have a two-speed, all metal transmission and a built-in LED lighting mechanism which illuminates the work area. Both of these features make sure that the device is controlled effectively.
- Compact Size: This drilling machine has a very compact size. It measures around 7-7/16 inches long and weighs just about 2.2 pounds (1 kg). This not only means less storage space but also implies that the device is pretty easy to lift around and deploy to the desired scene of use with minimal inconveniences.
- Maximum Convenience: The fact that it is powered by batteries coupled with the existence of an LED lighting mechanism that illuminates the work area means great convenience for users insofar as the range as well as the specific times when the device may be used is concerned.
- Durability: The drilling device is manufactured by use of very tough and long-lastingmaterials that are resistant to the elements of wear and tear such as corrosion, scratches, warping, and breakages. Consequently, it spares users of the agony of having to support it constantly and grants them the peace of mind they need to carry out their drilling tasks properly.
Features and Specifications
Below are the most outstanding features and technical specifications of the Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill Kit:
- Speed: Variable 2-speed design (0 – 350 & 0 – 1,300 revolutions per minute)
- Covers a wide range of drilling and driving applications
- Ultra-compact design: Measures around 7-7/16 inches long and weighs just about 2.2 pounds (1 kg).
- Has a battery
- Built-in L.E.D light to illuminate the work area
- Makita-built motor delivers 200 inch-pounds of maximum torque and 120 inch-pounds of PTI torque
- Ergonomically shaped soft grip handles
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: Comes along with a three-year warranty for the tool and battery
- Awards: Earned the EnergyStar label for attaining the strict energy-efficient guidelines that are stipulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US Department of Energy (DOE).
Costumer Reviews and Scores
A number of customers who have already tried it out have had these to say about it:
This drill is very easy to store and transport around because of its low weight and compact size.
The drill is very durable; its build is strong, the chuck is perfectly placed, its case is very solid, whereas it lacks any wobbles that may pose injuries to the users.
It is very great for those small jobs that require no high voltages.
I like the freedom to work wherever I so desire owing to its cordless nature and its main source of power being batteries.
I am a certified state contractor. I like this drill for its simplicity, less storage space requirements, and ease of use.
The Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill Kit has some of the following drawbacks and shortcomings:
- Limited Use: This drilling machine can only be used for boring holes on substances, nothing more. It would help if for instance, it were capable of cutting substances also. It thus returns very low value for money to the users.
- Exorbitant Costs: It is fairly more expensive when measured against the prices of competing manufacturers as well as the potential benefits that users stand to reap from its utilization. Again, this means very low returns on investments to the users.
- Less Applicability: Its small size and relatively low power output reduces to a considerable extent the possible range of materials and substances it may be used on. It cannot be used for heavy commercial work that requires devices of large sizes and very high power output.
As may be deduced from the foregoing Makita FD02W review, the Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill Kit is still a handy piece of equipment that should ideally be part of each and every household by reason of its ease of use, affordability, and compact size all in one comprehensive package. By its acquisition and later use, home owners stand to greatly reduce their repairs and maintenance expenses and speed up the time they spend in fixing minor issues within their home premises.
4. Milwaukee M18 Compact 1/2″ Drill Driver
MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT 1/2″ DRILL/DRIVER KIT is the most powerful drill in its class and it is one of the best cordless drills 2019. With a torque of 500 inch-lbs rotating from 0-400 at 1800 rpm and powered by specially designed Red Lithium batteries-meant togive a higher work per charge than what the competition provides, this deal is one of a kind and unique considering its cordless single powered nature. Milwaukee 4-pole frameless motor is coupled with a powerful 1/2” drill and anall- metal ratcheting chuck which guarantees versatility and ease of use.
Milwaukee M18 Compact 1/2″ Drill Driver has an all metal-gear and at 7-1/4” in length, this drill can use even the tightest workplaces you can expect. Further, it is fitted with Redlink intelligence which manages the equipment temperature and protects it from overload thereby increasing the work life of this tool. With Milwaukee drill driver know that you got a perfect deal because it is completely enhanced to give durability, portability-as the equipment itself is lightweight at about 3lbs with batteries, safety and versatility as they have switching chucks for different drill bits
The complete Milwaukee M18 driver kit comes with M12 and M18 RedLithium batteries, a multi-voltage charge and a lockable carrying case.
Pros MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT 1/2″
MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT 1/2″ considers the user-that is, the customer, who is the most important person. The tool offers great balance, good hand fell and comfort even when one is working in a really tight workplace.
- The torque provided by the motor means one thing, power and stability. According to users, it even outperforms the corded drills though it is battery-powered.
- The tool is small and lightweight; it only weighs 2.9lbs without batteries. The battery lives according to its description as they are long-lasting and there is no need for charging when performing simple daily tasks especially electrical related drilling. You are covered as power consumption will be low.
- MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT 1/2″ is also cheap at less than $120. It also comes with two sets of batteries which is a far better deal than what competitors offer. Can you see best price in HERE
- The design allows one to easily replace parts without taking them to the stores for assistance. If you work your tool enough to replace your brushes, order a new set of brush cards and open up the tool. You will see how easy it is to replace the worn out brushes. You will notice that there are no pop rivets inside which makes assembling complicated. This tool is purely owner serviceable.
- The metal head of this drill brings in diversity and you will not be strictly restricted to the drill bit size. You can easily open up and use larger and wider drill bit sizes if you need to. This switching can prevent delays especially when you are dealing with urgent work.
- The machine is also very handy and the clutch it provides while working on it makes you feel safer as the grip is perfect and you won’t hurt your hands by over gripping.
- The carrying case used for the tool and accessories is also very sturdy, lockable and compact. There is some rubber element on the tool which acts shock absorbers if it falls.
- The LED lights it packs is invaluable when working on tight places as it lights on when you pull the trigger making you work easier and safer.
- MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT 1/2″ also has a battery gauge which notifies you when the charge is low. When it is on its last bar, LED flashes the color red and that is when you have to switch batteries. With its multi-voltage charger, you can easily charge one battery as you use the other when drilling. Charging takes a relatively short time, about 25 minutes when compared to other models which you have to wait for an hour or so.
- It comes full with 24 clutch positions, 2 torque settings with variable speed controllers making this drill very versatile. The 24 clutch place comes in handy when you are doing light jobs like wood drilling and carpentry while the low torque setting will satisfactorily solve your screw driving jobs as you have enough power from the tool for you to control the depth you need.
- The tool also has a 3 year warranty period which is hard to beat.
Features and specification
- It is fitted with Redlink intelligence. This protects the equipment against overload and manages the tool temperature by offering direct system communication between the tool, battery and charger.
- It has a 4-pole frameless motor which delivers a 500in-lbs torque whilst moving at 1800rpm from 0-400.
- It is fitted with M18 and M12 which are specially designed lithium batteries offering more torque and run time. It also has its multi-charger for use when charging these batteries.
- The tool comes with a hard, sturdy and a lockable case for protection.
- This tool can work at low temperature up to -18oC
- It has LED lights for illumination in dark places.
- It is fitted with countered rubber at the handle for better gripping and comfort.
- It is fitted with battery gauge with changeable LED lights to indicate level of charge.
Customer reviews and scores
- Customers like this drilling tool because it executes what it offers. It comes in small, handy and lightweight making it suitable for different kinds of work.
- Customers are impressed by the long lasting batteries and the fact that it has a battery gauge which alerts you. The LED blinks Red when it is almost out of charge and when you connect it to the power source through their multi-charger. Charging takes a short period of time too. The torque this too brings is also good enabling performance of heavy duty jobs easily and effectively.
- Customers didn’t like the absence of drill bit holders and sometimes the ratcheting chuck don’t hold the drill bits tightly resulting in wobbling and eventual breakages of drill bits.
The bit switching is good but they should add an in-built chuck holder. Users recommend that they fit one at the back to prevent loss of drill bits.
• It also lacks the all important lock on the trigger, so to engage the tool you have to depress the trigger again.
• The tool also doesn’t come with a side handle for control purposes.
Milwaukee M18 Compact 1/2″ Drill Driver Kit is highly recommended and it performs according to its description. The cordless option, despite being new to the market is well covered by the long lasting lithium batteries and the frameless motor which provides enough torque to power all your drilling needs. The variable speed controller, the clutch positions and the torque settings brings you versatility which you don’t want to miss when executing your daily tasks.
5. Ingersoll Rand D5140 1/2-Inch Cordless Drill Driver
When you are a handyman construction worker or other labored employee who handles many heavy-duty jobs, you often will find yourself being drawn to a drill that can make your job a little easier, which will be beneficial as your time is very valuable. The Ingersoll D5140 is definitely a heavy duty drill ready to assist you on any job. There are many things we were highly impressed with and a few things we were not so impressed with Overall, we do feel this drill is a highly capable drill that can assist both on the job and within the home. Keep reading to find out what we thought about this drill and decide if it is the drill for you
Pros of the Ingersoll D5140
- Battery Life — The drill requires a 20v battery. The power for the battery is very long-lasting and can withstand holding on for most jobs. If you plan on using this drill professionally, take note that the ‘,battery should last you most of the day with full power. This is a great advantage so you don’t have to stop mid-job to charge up your drill’s battery before you can continue working.
- Small and Powerful — This drill may seem small when you take in the power it puts out It is a very powerful drill that is strong enough to handle just about any job without any trouble. With 700 lbs of torque, it is fully capable to power through any job at a much faster rate. Not only that, some jobs may even seem easier just by using this drill. The power is very helpful on the job while using this drill.
- Very Durable — When it comes to power tools on the job, anything can happen. They can get dropped, something can get spilled on them, or any other number of things. This is why the durability of this drill is amazing. The composite casing of the drill helps to keep it Dwell-protected. Any fluids or chemicals it may come in contact with will not affect the usability of this drill. A careless drop won’t be the end of its lifetime either. The durability of this drill speaks volume about its design.
- Cordless Having a cordless drill makes getting the job done easier. You don’t have to worry about if your cord will reach or if you have the right extension cord for the drill. You can go wherever you need to without lugging around a cord. There is no risk of injury from tripping over a bulky cord. It is very convenient to have a cordless drill because you are not limited to the jobs you can do. You can handle a job in the middle of nowhere as long as your battery will last throughout the job. For a standard job, this should not be a problem.
Features and Specifications
This battery-powered drill requires a 20-volt battery. At just 5.2Ibs, you can handle this drill with ease on any job without it feeling too heavy. As a smaller drill, it will fit right into your hand with ease with dimensions of 3″ x 9.25″ x 9.25″. Don’t let the size fool you, though. The power behind this drill will help you power through any job quickly and efficiently with 700 lbs of torque. This drill is pretty fast to work with 1900 RPM’s of speed. The sound is tolerable with 86 decibels. With the tool-tip being a 1/2″ keyless chuck, attachments are easy to find. Coming with a case means you can also be sure to keep your drill in tip top shape when not in use.
Customer Reviews and Scores
Possessing 5-star rating on Amazon, the Ingersoll D5140 has received high reviews from customers. Customers state that they love this drill because of the long-lasting batteries and power it has, regardless of its size. Customers are pleased with its ability to withstand remaining powered for most jobs. Many customers who have purchased this drill are impressed with the quality. The reviews of past customers show that this drill is a decent model.
Cons of the Ingersoll D5140
- Battery Not Included — It is a little frustrating that the battery needed for this drill is not included with your purchase. It’s just another thing you have to buy before you can put this drill to use Although minor, most people like to take their new drill out and begin to play with it So, it is necessary to note that you will need to supply your own 20-volt battery before you can use your new drill.
- No Battery Charger — Along with no battery being included, there is also no battery charger. It is vital to have a battery charger for Lithe times when your battery might run out. Having a battery charger is necessary and is also something you will want to have for when you want to use your drill. You will want to make sure the battery charger you get is compatible with the battery you buy.
Overall, the Ingersoll D5140 is a very nice drill. At an affordable price, it gets the job done. Having enough power and speed makes it capable of handling just about any job. As a smaller drill, the power it possesses will surprise you Fitting into your hand nicely at its size is nice as it makes it easier to handle on the job. Regardless of what type of job you are trying to complete, this drill will be comfortable and efficient helping you get the job done right.
The quality you will find in this drill will also be surprising to you as it is comparable to other drill manufacturer competitors. While not coming with a battery or battery charger is frustrating, those are minimal issues when you look at everything you get with this drill. From efficiency to power and good size, this drill will cover all of your needs. Providing your own battery and charger will make it so you can start enjoying all the benefits this drill possesses for your on the job needs.
How to use the Clutch on a Cordless Drill
What is Clutch?
Clutch is an intelligent design of the drilling with the purpose of adjusting the torque on the drill is to make sure that you don’t overdrive the screw into the material that you are using.
Different materials have different hardness or depending on job requirements that you need to limit torque the drill to protect the material.
Most newer drills will have a torque selector with settings ranging from 1-22.
Notes will help you work better
- Settings are 1-5 usually for short wood screws going Into 1/4 “or less
- Settings are good for larger 6-15 screws Into wood and stone and metal Into when drilling a mid to Higher torque setting will work best.
How to Drill Metal
Drilling metal is always a difficult task for someone who does not specialize or inexperienced. It would be dangerous if bit broken, ruin your product or hurt you when the accident occurred. Don’t worry! This video will help how to drill metal with utmost ease.
Everything can be solved in a good way if you see this video
Helping You Buy The Best Cordless Drill 2019
Did you know that corded drills used to be the tools of choice when it came to drilling and screw driving applications? Well, these types of drills were a